Friends of Karura Anniversary Virtual Race
Welcome to the 2020 Friends of Karura Anniversary Virtual Race
Thanks to the ongoing support of the EABL Foundation, we are pleased to be partnering again with the Kenya Forest Service, Friends of Karura and Team Jasho to bring you the second edition of the Friends of Karura anniversary race.
This year our theme is to recognize the amazing work of the KFS and FKF teams who maintain the forest, and who have kept it open every day throughout the COVID pandemic, ensuring that we've all had a haven to walk, run, cycle, relax and escape.
With the support of our other partners (Unilever, Naivas, and Coca-Cola), we're putting together a gift pack as a token of thanks for each of the scouts, rangers, tree carers and admin staff who work at Karura. Due to the circumstances brought about by COVID, we are also using the event to raise funds for Food Banking Kenya who distribute fortnightly food parcels to vulnerable households in Githogoro, just to the north of Karura. Ksh 200 from each entry will be automatically donated to this cause, and you can choose to make an additional donation on entry.
Due to COVID we're going virtual this year. This means that you can take part any day between 9th and 18th October. To enter, please scroll down and complete the form below.
- Entry Fee: Ksh 500 which includes a medal, t-shirt and Ksh 200 donation to Food Banking Kenya
- Event Period: Participants can run any day between Friday 9th October and Sunday 18th October
- Distances: 5km and 10km
- Courses: As the race is virtual, participants are free to run anywhere. However, we encourage you to run come and run in Karura and we will mark a 5km and 10km course for you to follow. Aside from the markings, no additional support will be provided around the courses
- Leader Boards: Our courses will be created as segments in Strava which we will use to create race leader boards. Only participants who are Strava users and who use the marked courses will be included in the leader boards; however, this is not required for participation or to collect your race pack
- Medals and T-Shirts: There are no race numbers or need to collect anything before you run. Participant packs including the race medals and t-shirts will be available for collection at Run Beyond upon race completion from 9th October. Race packs can be delivered on request with the cost of delivery borne by the participant
- Forest Entry: The entry fee does not include forest entry or parking which will be payable at the gate
- Photo Competition: We hope you'll share your race photos so that we can celebrate your participation. We'll select our top four for a public vote with a Garmin vivosport up for grabs for the winner. Further details on how to participate will be shared on entry
- Terms of Entry: By registering for the event all participants accept our race indemnity
- Contact Details: [email protected], 0711 892 032
* T-Shirt Size Guide: we are using a unisex t-shirt available in sizes S-XXL. Based on samples, we recommend that women order their actual size and men order one size larger; i.e. a man who usually wears M, should request L. We've reflected this by indicating Women's (W) and Men's (M) sizes in the dropdown menu below
Entries are SOLD OUT but feel free to join the celebration by coming and trying out our courses. Both the 5KM and 10KM start and finished at Amani Garden accessed by Gate A off Limuru Road.
Keep an eye on our race calendar or follow our social media pages for information on upcoming events.